Top 30 One Hit Wonders Countdown
So, we have two Top 30 Countdowns behind us and at the start of another brand new financial year, it’s time to look at the Top 30 One Hit Wonders. These are songs that were the only ones that made it to the Australia Top 40 for the listed artist. I understand and acknowledge that some of the 40 artists listed (ten today and one each day for the rest of July), were successful in bands but in each case, they only entered the charts once under this name.
Being another month with 31 days, I can list the ten songs that just missed out, and then use the other thirty days of the month to countdown the Radio Ga Ga Top 30 One Hit Wonders.
As always, these are simply my opinions and therefore, the selections are neither correct or incorrect. The chart data is provided by my favourite reference book for such matters – The Book: Top 40 Research by Steven Scanes and Jim Barnes.
As I mentioned above, there were too many great one-hit wonders to limit myself to 30 or 40, so I have created a list of ten songs that only just missed out a position in the final thirty. And here they are – in date order (by chart entry date):
- Eleanor Rigby – Zoot – 7 January 1971
- Resurrection Shuffle – Ashton, Gardner & Dyke – 19 August 1971
- Ernie – Benny Hill – 6 January 1972
- Drift Away – Dobie Gray – 7 June 1973
- Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me) – Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel – 22 May 1975
- Gonna Fly Now – Bill Conti – 25 May 1977
- Ca Plane Pour Moi – Plastic Bertrand – 15 November 1978
- My Sharona – The Knack – 8 August 1979
- Solid Rock – Goanna – 11 November 1982
- Slice Of Heaven – Dave Debby & Herbs – 1 April 1987
Join me tomorrow at 10:00am Melbourne time for number 30!